ONZA is a professional association which supports the development of skills and knowledge in the music and movement pedagogy based on the work of Carl Orff and Gunild Keetman. The holistic approach, referred to as the Orff Schulwerk, integrates singing, speech, movement and playing. The Schulwerk enables inclusive music-making and dance, in which participants learn at their own level. This approach is used in a variety of educational and community settings throughout Aotearoa/New Zealand.
ONZA exists to promote Orff Schulwerk within relevant educational and therapeutic settings in Aotearoa/New Zealand.
ONZA promotes the Orff approach by offering a wide range of professional learning opportunities, which enable and support the application of elemental music and movement in New Zealand educational and therapeutic settings.
Values of ONZA
ONZA supports the following values:
- Inclusion and diversity
- Joy in participation
- Passion to share, participate and perform
- Creativity and improvisation
- Integration of art forms
- Professional support through nurturing skills and knowledge
- Sense of community within schools, between centres of learning, nationwide
The impact of ONZA
Through the growing membership of ONZA and the activities of Orff-trained teachers, ONZA has an ever-increasing impact on music and movement education and community in Aoteoroa/New Zealand settings. That has been achieved through:
- Week-long intensive courses at four different levels
- A postgraduate music/movement education programme at the University of Waikato
- Encouraging the development of research in music and movement education
- Community music and dance events
- The provision of resources.
ONZA is a not-for-profit organisation governed and administered by music and movement educators. In 2005, ONZA became an Incorporated Society with an initial membership of approximately 10 members. Currently there are approximately 144 fully subscribed members nationwide.
The Society has a governing committee elected annually at a March AGM. Since 2014 an Administrator has been contracted to assist the organisation in its work.